Sunday, May 28, 2023

From Nova to Naught

 


Lady Luck called. But I wasn’t ready.

In fact I didn’t even recognize her since just as Thomas Edison predicted, she looked like work, dressed in overalls. 

On May 19, at 2 a.m. from my New Jersey backyard, I was testing my telescope tracking on an object I have never imaged before. The Pinwheel galaxy (Messier 101). The next day I heard that the 75 year old supernova hunter extraordinaire, Koichi Itagaki had done it again. Beating research grade observatories to the punch, he had reported a supernova in the same galaxy that very night.

I went back to check my images, and sure enough, amidst the wispy arms of the spiral, a new dot had appeared. An exploding star that outshone all its peers 21 million light years away. I had imaged a new supernovae only once before, a month after its discovery. But this time it was different. My time of capture was BEFORE that of Itagaki. More than 9 hours ahead.

“So you discovered it too.” My nine year old quipped, eyes slightly wider. 

“Nope.” I said. “Whoever reports it first gets credit.”

On a website that tracks these, there are 8 confirmed reports of others around the world who have reported imaging this pre-discovery, me included. None of them, was as prepared as Itagaki to confirm it’s appearance. 

So, what’s the lesson? 

When you see a lady in overalls, look again.

Else it may just be your chance of a lifetime coming to naught.

http://www.rochesterastronomy.org/sn2023/sn2023ixf.html

https://flic.kr/p/2oBJuNc

No comments:

Post a Comment